Friday, July 15, 2011

Not built in a day...

...but seen in one.

We stepped off the train into Termini. The station was still busy at 7:30.

I heard my name called. I saw my two roommates from my stay in Madrid. Canadians, I explained to Wm., are everywhere. Spaghetti alla carbonara was the first meal I had in Rome five years ago. Repeat.

A good meal after a long day made better by unexpected company.
The sun set as we ate.
My pack felt heavy by the time we checked into the hostel.

This wasn't Nice. The other residents weren't really, either.

An early morning intended, a mid morning start. Covering the city would take all day, but I thought it necessary for Wm. to see the main attractions if he was going to see anything.

The Vatican in black and white. Intricate without the opulence.
These stairs may look familiar to those who were required to take MATH-M119 back in 06-07.
Disarray behind perceived order.
Leaving and so did we.
The Coliseum

To the Pantheon.
Dreading the inevitable.

The day wasn't without mistakes, but with the sites seen, I had satisfied my duties as a tour guide. Nine hours later, we contacted the Two from Toronto and had one last night out; it was an interesting conclusion to an even more interesting trip.

I awoke on the floor of my hostel room the next morning confused only about my energy and clarity. I'm not a morning person, not after nights like that. My bed stood next to me, undisturbed and uncluttered.

It was time to meet the parents. Time for schedules, plans, and arranged meeting times. We took off towards Termini.

No comments:

Post a Comment