Friday, March 11, 2011

Love in Bloomington.

 Bloomington is a wonderful place in the summer; social circles expand, fraternity rivalries and hostility evanesce, scores of college kids hurl themselves into quarries, and romance blossoms.

I fell in love almost three years ago in the summer of '08. I was seduced by the promise of a new experience; something intimate and familiar, yet rustically exotic. It was the allure of something honest, local, and secret. 

I was introduced to a fine Bloomington tradition that summer- Hinkle's. This burger joint (shack?) isn't physically hidden like The Burger Joint in Le Parker Meridien Hotel, but you don't end up eating there by accident. Within its walls is an experience that is best shared with close friends, one of whom must possess a car. Upon entering, you won't hear much beyond the hiss of the flat top and a request for your order, "dear." People don't come here to talk; they come to eat. 
Hinkles x Diana
The menu is simple, just like the burgers, and I never find myself tempted to get anything else. It helps that they only accept cash. The burger is a beautifully thin, savory patty with the perfect amount of caramelizing; slightly crispy, yet still tender. The white onions are pressed into the burger as they grill, thus simultaneously infusing their flavor and texture into the experience. The pickles add the perfect amount of saltiness to the mix.
My order? One double, one single (cheeseburger of course) with onions, pickles, and mayo. 
Note: I don't care who you are, every burger joint-style burger should have mayo on it. 

The day before I graduated, like I did any other time before an extended departure from town, I stopped by for my usual order. They knew I was leaving, but I had to explain I wasn't coming back. The sense of community and loyalty only added to the Hinkle's experience and I waxed nostalgic as I contemplated my burger.

Alas, experiencing true love isn't a once in a lifetime experience. I know I fell in love, again, just a week ago. You can have it ground fresh Monday-Friday, 10 to 4, provided they don't run out of meat. Make sure you get onions and pickles or you'll find yourself on the receiving end of some rather embarrassing announcements about your condiment choice from the 4'8" 70-some year old powerhouse that takes your order. (Read: "Who's the pussy who didn't order onions?")

There's a long history to Hinkle's and while I could take the time trying to retell its story, I think it's best told by the newspaper clippings on the wall. If you ever find yourself in Bloomington, IN, look the place up and order a double cheeseburger with onions and pickles; it's not Hinkle's if you have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment